Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mixed Plate: Vacation Time? Book 'em, Wasabi

Yes, it's time yet again for my springtime vacation/visit to Da Islands of Plenty Ono Kine Grindz (duh, Hawaii), where I'll be catching up with family and just laying low for a few days of much-needed Marlene Dietrich I Vant to Be Alone Time. But fear not, I'll be checking in periodically on Twitter, and in the meantime -- lookie here, pretty actors from the TV series Hawaii Five-0.

These good looking actors are much nicer to look at. Enjoy. (Photo from CBS Television) 
Don't Judgey McJudgersteen me for loving on some tropical procedural crime-fighting weekly programming. I used to watch the original Five-0 series, which to this day has the best TV theme ever (see below), and the real hook that got me into the reboot was that Daniel Dae Kim from Lost and Grace Park from Battlestar Galactica were in it. Gotta give love to my Asian brothahs and sistahs -- plus Masi Oka from Heroes has since become a cast regular. Triple-A(sian) Awesomeness. While it's a goofy reason, I like the fact that when I watch a popular TV series, I see actors who are not unlike my own obviously non-blue-eyed/blond-haired self. They're not all in the Math Club, they don't wear pocket protectors or speak with a bad accent, and no one's saying, What's a-happenin' hot stuff? with a gong sound effect in the backdrop. Multi-cultural cast photo where everyone is equally hot and objectified? Winning.


But enough non-food-related soap-boxin'. What will I be doing in this land of Aloha besides hanging out with the folks and visiting extended family? That's kind of it. I have about a week to fit in all the visiting, get some face time with family friends and hopefully squeeze in some quiet down time for myself. But I will of course share any tasty visuals I find. Before I left, I made sure to get my appetite primed for The Good Stuff, making myself a heaping plate or two of Locomoco over Spam Fried Rice, and looking through pictures of the goodies I brought home on my last trip, as a reminder for what I need to look out for this time.

All I can say is, the USPS if-it-fits-it-ships boxes are a godsend. That is the best vacation tip I can give, if you're traveling around the US. I buy up whatever I can find in the farmers markets (don't worry, nothing fresh, just coffee or snacks) or Sale Day at Long's, shove it all into the USPS boxes and ship it home, to save on TSA/baggage check and the 3 ounces of pure hell that is dealing with air travel. Considering most airlines charge $25 per bag you check in, and I have to island-hop using multiple flights, I can send one or two boxes of souvenir-omiyage goodness home for $20 or less, and they're usually home before I am.

Anyways, just wanted to give the head's up that Wasabi's Over and Out on Vacation until the second week of March, but stay tuned on Twitter, and I'll see you all soon! Mahaloz!

Locomoco pre-func and wishful thinking of what I'll bring back with me - Photos by Wasabi Prime

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are having a fab time. We love the Hawaii 5-0 in this house. Lotsa eye candy for everyone...

    ReplyDelete

Commentary encouraged. Fresh baked cookies, super-encouraged. (hit the 'post comment' button twice, sometimes it's buggy)