Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wasabi...who...?



Greetings, Earthlings! If you've found this page, you'll no doubt be wondering the same thing my parents are, which is just what the heck is Wasabi Prime? Although they would most likely phrase it something along the lines of, "Is this like The Twitter or that MySpacebook-thing?" I'm sure you're well aware this is a food-themed blog, and the curiosity that led you to this page compels you to ask the real question, which is, there's a gazillion blogs out there, and a good chunk of them are food-related -- why the hell should I waste valuable goof-off time at work reading this one?

Why read this blog? Because I'm not a chef, I don't proclaim any wizard-like culinary wisdom, I'm just a home cook prone to moments of compulsive cooking -- JUST LIKE YOU. And I like to eat, very likely, also like yourself. In my very humble opinion, that's what makes this blog special, the fact that it's gimmick-free, just honest and sincere, reminding people that food is wonderful, but not mystical. Anyone and everyone can cook, it's not scary -- get back in touch with the food on your plate.

This blog shares the home-cooked successes, as it does the failures, and work-in-progress dishes. I'm terrible with recipes, often going off-book and literally throwing things together, so bear with me. Because of that, I'm a fan of "MacGyver Cooking," aka, "UnRecipes," where meals come together with whatever's on-hand, and I encourage readers to do the same kind of unscripted cooking. I'll take you with me on my adventures, within the lovely Pacific Northwest and abroad, sharing both food and travel tips.

When not blogging, I'm a freelance graphic designer (peek at my work at denisesakaki.com), food writer, recipe developer and sometimes food photographer. I've never officially been involved in the food service industry, and growing up, I was the pickiest eater in the world (scrambled eggs and hotdogs, no lie). But over time, I developed an earnest appreciation for food. Working on this blog has been a rediscovery of the role our meals hold in life, both present and past. Food is not just fuel. It's the centerpiece in family gatherings, the passing-down of tradition in time-worn recipes, and the shared revelry enjoyed with loved ones. Food is memory and it has an uncanny ability to weave its way into our collective lives and create new connections for memories yet to be made, and that is a journey worth taking, no?

So, sit back, grab a bag of Funyuns and a glass of aged port, and see what Wasabi Prime serves up. Feel free to email me directly at wasabiprime at hotmail dot com, if you feel so inclined. I'm always happy to hear from readers and discuss writing or photography projects. It's way more fun than fielding all that spam mail asking about erectile dysfunction or that Nigerian prince who keeps insisting that I alone can help him claim his royal treasure. Cheers.

* Side note, for I also write a style/art blog called the Jaunty Magpie, if you wish to take a peek... merci!

Disclosure Policy/Copyright Info for Wasabi Prime

3 comments:

  1. Hi Denise! Just wanted to let you know that I am giving you the "One Lovely Blog" Award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered you and am loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Commentary encouraged. Fresh baked cookies, super-encouraged. (hit the 'post comment' button twice, sometimes it's buggy)