Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mixed Plate: Everything Happens for a Reason, Even Pizza

I shared my mental meanderings over the six-year history of TV series Lost coming to a close earlier this week on my other blog, the Jaunty Magpie, but suffice it to say, I couldn't say for sure just what the eff happened. That being said, I made a pizza, or more to the point, a "Hawaiian" pizza to commemorate several seasons of addictive television and an excuse to carb-out on a Sunday. "Everything happens for a reason," says John Locke. Hell yes. Extra cheese, please.

Hey, baby, what's your number? 4 8 15 16 23 42 - Photo by Wasabi Prime

So I put "Hawaiian" in parenthesis because if this were really a Hawaiian pizza, it'd be covered in slow-roasted pork, slices of Spam, Portuguese sausage, and a number of other mysterious delicious piggy parts with a sprinkling of green onions. I've ranted before and I'll rant again -- just putting pineapple on it doesn't make it Hawaiian. If anything, it just makes something cloyingly sweet with a chance for indigestion later. But this was a special occasion, the ending of one of our favorite TV shows, plus Mr. Wasabi loves pizza with ham and pineapple on it -- a flavor I have come to appreciate in our longterm coupledom. Instead of getting takeout, I went with a homemade pizza dough, deli ham and fresh slices of pineapple. Compromise can be delicious, and as Jack says: "We live together or die alone!" I'm sure this referenced hunger pains for cheesy pizza.

I won't get into the details of the finale. It's way too convoluted and I don't want to make the series seem daunting to those who waited until its end before Netflixing it. Overall, I thought it was fine, and it was a nice finishing touch to several years of very watchable television. Sure, there were plot holes, story imperfections, and there's still a lot of unanswered questions, but I think for the most part, it was a finale that was for the fans, to make people feel like the characters would be ok, in one alternative universe or another. And in a lot of ways, the best part of a beloved show is the subculture that forms in a series' orbit. One of the best things about the Lost finale were the special ads that were interspersed throughout the show, which I think was kinda fun. Too bad Target doesn't sell Apollo Bars.



As a bonus, I finally found the old KFC ad that was made in Hawaii to promote their own local franchise specials, done as a Lost parody. This was made during the first year of the show, and it was funny then and Cluckety-Cluck-Cluck awesome now.



Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. I was scared to read this in case of spoilers, but it seems I've made it through still blissfully unaware. This type of pizza is Mr Salty's fave too, tho I'm with you on the other types of meaty goodness instead. Sounds like we can have a pizza party and you and I can share one while the boys get another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a single episode of Lost...but I do like "Hawaiian" pizza. I'd probably like real Hawaiian pizza too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Lost faithfully from episode 1 on. Kind of felt like I was done last season, and ready for the finale. Now that it is over, I wish there were more to see.
    Did you catch the alternate ending with Bob Newhart? Loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Commentary encouraged. Fresh baked cookies, super-encouraged. (hit the 'post comment' button twice, sometimes it's buggy)