Monday, October 26, 2009

Mixed Plate: Fall on Me

Wasabi Prime is back! Well... sort of.

In anticipation of being stricken with a severe case of vacation-hangover and just plain wiped from returning from the family visit, I wrote this in advance to have something season-appropriate for the week. Right before leaving, everyone in and around Seattle enjoyed that amazing autumn weekend of clear skies and glorious fall colors in the Pacific Northwest. I took several photos and they were too fun not to share.

Fall is awesome, as is silly legwear - Photo by Wasabi Prime

I already posted this pic on the Prime's lil' sistah site, Jaunty Magpie, but it pretty much sums up what I love best about fall: bright leaves and wearing wacky tights. Mr. Wasabi and I often spend our Saturdays at the Redmond Town Center with the manic furry menace known as Indy the dog, grabbing the ubiquitous latte and at least for the last few months, wandering the local farmer's market for tasty goods. October is the last month for most farmer's markets, including this one, so this is somewhat of a swan song to this weekend habit.

Raindrops on roses notwithstanding, these are also a few of my favorite things - Photos by Wasabi Prime

We've purchased pretty bouquets from the flower vendors many times. The pumpkin vase idea was a cute one. It's a shame Thanksgiving is so far off, as that would make for a cheerful host/hostess gift. Although nothing says "thanks for giving" like a bottle of booze, so there's something to be said for solid standbys. Something I was disappointed with not being able to take advantage of were the multi-hued bell peppers. Huge bins of the gorgeous things were at several booths and I had to keep telling myself that they wouldn't have maintained freshness in the fridge for our return home.

Butternut squash: totally delicious and not just for infantile jokes - Photo by Wasabi Prime

The joys of multicolored squash were in full effect as well with the market vendors. I love an ingredient that can be both decorative and perform a delicious role in a meal. We have a sugar pumpkin from a friend's garden sitting at home awaiting its culinary fate and I have little doubt the household favorite, butternut squash, will be back to make regular trips through our kitchen again.

The surrounding trees were completely ablaze with color, especially in the sun. Much like the fleeting beauty of spring when the cherry blossoms are out, autumn is the seasonal gift that's so beautiful and inspiring, it's an act of providence that it's such a short period so that we're reminded how fortunate we are to experience it and to really savor these times.

The joys of autumn and a totally rad vintage car - Photos by Wasabi Prime

Bookmark and Share

17 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Fall is indeed upon us. I dig your tights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I love these photos! Fall is my absolute favorite season and you certainly captured it in this post! Glad you made it back safely from your trip, by the way! Hope you had a fabulous time with the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you back Wasabi. Lots of great photos here wasabi. I love the top one most. Those bell peppers look like they were on steroids or something. Crazy colors come out of them. Never seen purple bell pepper before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard on good authority, care of Silvia from Citron et Vanille, that the purple bell peppers, while pretty to look at, are a bit bland in flavor compared to the brighter varieties. Still an amazing thing to see in those bins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps the colors of fall are meant to keep us warm through the black and white days of winter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post the mostest of all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos! And I love fall too - been snapping up pictures like crazy!

    Another interesting note on the purple peppers - they turn green when you cook them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. I love farmer's market. I want to travel around the world to visit the farmer's market. I love the colors of autumn and I am missing it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post! Haven't been to Seattle, but would love to visit sometime. What about using the pumpkin as a "cooler" to hold the bottle(s) of booze as a Thanksgiving gift? =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this blog post, a lot of imagination.

    I like the colour of the car

    ReplyDelete
  11. we are really in the "prime" of autumn now- no turning back! vacation sounds perfect right about now- lucky :) gorgeous photos, seattle is so awesome in truth...

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha -- I like the pumpkin as cooler idea, High/Low! I know some people have used giant pumpkins as beer dispensers for Oktoberfest. Thanks for all the comments, everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice photos! I drool over pictures of vintage cars almost as much as pictures of food..

    ReplyDelete
  14. your shoes are so cute! can i ask where you bought them?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Stephanie! I think I got the shoes online at alloy.com -- it's an inexpensive teeny-bopper store, but they have cute flats. It was a couple of years ago so I don't think they still sell them, but they do have other cute things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy myself very much just looking at the pictures. They're really stunning! I love the legwear the most...hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  17. didn't they do this test where they blindfolded several people, and made them taste all the 3 different colours of bell peppers. They couldn't differentiate the taste. But you know what, we're not very reliable that way. haha.

    Heart your pictures. So lucky you guys get Fall, it's possibly the most romantic season of all!

    ReplyDelete

Commentary encouraged. Fresh baked cookies, super-encouraged. (hit the 'post comment' button twice, sometimes it's buggy)